No creaming or folding, this is a simple, quick and easy stand-by sponge. Choose your own filling, fruit, cream, lemon curd or jam. For a variation add some vanilla essence, lemon or orange zest to the ingredients. Requires 2 round 8 inch sandwich baking tins, greased and lined with baking paper. I sometimes need to cut a thin slice from the top of of one of the sponges to level them before I sandwich them together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325F if you know your oven is really hot).
- Measure out all the ingredients, put in to a large bowl and beat until well blended (I use an electric mixer but you can do this by hand).
- Divide this between the two tins; level out and bake in the oven for approx 30-35 minutes, until well risen and the top of the sponges spring back when lightly pressed with your finger.
- Leave them to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before you turn them out; remove the paper and let them completely cool on a cake rack.
- When cold, sandwich them together with your favorite filling.
- Sprinkle caster or powdered sugar on the top.
very easy excellent cake- and it looks so appetizing too.i made it with a lemon curd filling, i'll be making this again.
I'm going to be trying this again:)
For people who prefer to weigh the ingredients: 6 oz butter 6 oz sugar 6 oz self raising flour This must be baked in two seperate tins as stated!