Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I thought this recipe looked familiar when I first saw it and I was right. My Mom used to make this cake for every birthday celebrated in the house but she called it wacky cake. What makes it wacky? There are no eggs or dairy in it.
- In an 8x8 inch square baking pan combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix until it is completely light brown.
- When it is mixed, make 4 dents in the mixture with a spoon, 2 large dents and 2 small dents.
- Pour the water into one of the large dents.
- Pour the oil into the other large dent.
- Pour vanilla into one of the small dents.
- Pour vinegar into the other small dent.
- Stir until well moistened.
- When batter is well mixed, smooth it out and spread into place with a spatula.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes before cutting it into squares.
This is great! I couldn't believe it tasted so good! I didn't have a 13 x 9 cake pan so I used a round cake pan and poured all the batter into it; I DID have to increase the cook time to 45 mins and I only had veg oil and that wasn't a problem. My kids LOVED it. They couldn't believe I made it from scratch. Thanks for the great recipe!
This was pretty good. my two year old made it (with alot of help). she really enjoyed it. the taste was good. i tried it with both chocolate and vanilla frosting. but it was much nicer with vanilla. it really was very moist. like a very cakey brownie. i liked that the recipe calls for no egg (which is the main reason i chose it) coz my two year old could lick the spoon with no worries.
This cake is fabulous, it's moist and chocolaty. I've been make this cake for years and every one always loves it. thanks for posting.