Recipe by English_Rose
Save on cutlery with this all-in-one tuna niçoise, which has tuna, egg and olives folded into the bread dough - a great one for the picnic hamper. Time does not include proving.
For the Nicoise mix
- 8 quail eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces green beans, halved
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna
- 3 1⁄2 ounces whole green olives, pitted
- 3 artichoke hearts, chopped into eight wedges
- chopped parsley
- 2 large beef tomatoes, seeds removed and roughly chopped
For the bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs unbleached white flour
- 1 ounce fresh yeast
- 5⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the vinaigrette
- 3⁄8 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the quail's eggs in a pan of simmering water for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into iced water. Peel the eggs.
- Tip the green beans into a pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 2 minutes, before transferring to iced water; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, olives, green beans, artichoke hearts, quail's eggs, parsley and tomatoes.
- Place 1lb of the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 3/8 cups water and pour the water and yeast into the flour.
- Using your hands, knead the mixture for 5 minutes, until elastic in texture.
- Fold the niçoise mix into the dough. Cover the bowl with a damp tea-towel and leave to rest for 4 hours - during this time the dough will rise spectacularly.
- Knock back the dough, adding the olive oil and salt. Gradually add the rest of the flour and knead to a soft sticky dough. Cover the dough once again with the tea towel and leave for another hour. During this time the dough will rise to double its size.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Bake the loaf for 35 minutes, until golden and well-risen. Once baked, place on a wire rack to cool.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a jam jar and shake vigorously. Serve the bread with the vinaigrette.