Recipe by Rachel Morris
A great way to include all four food groups in one dish, and sneak a wide variety of vegetables into your family's diet. The texture is very soft, making it easy for baby to mash or chew. Breadcrumbs can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer in a baggie.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted, cooled and ground to crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup mild onion
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 medium peeled and quartered raw potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree raw vegetables in food blender until all large chunks are broken down.
- Combine breadcrumbs, pureed vegetables, ground beef, egg, and spices in large bowl. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 3/4 of the tomato paste, and all of grated cheddar to bowl and mix well.
- Shape mixture into loaf in large casserole dish.
- Spread remaining tomato paste over loaf.
- Cook uncovered at 350 F for 75 minutes, or until loaf is firm and fully cooked.
- For adults: Slice and enjoy with your favourite side dish, potatoes, brown rice or pasta. Salt and pepper may want to be added. For infants: Mash or cube, serve with baby’s favourite vegetable, add potatoes, brown rice or whole wheat pasta for a heartier meal.