Recipe by diner524
A recipe that I found at Taste of Home that I can't wait to try, will update once I have made it. Here is what the author states: "I've had this unique recipe for years. It's always a hit at our house because it combines eggs, bacon, cheese, vegetables and bread all in one pan. I enjoy cooking for my husband of 31 years, two sons, one daughter and two grandsons." I will probably leave the mushrooms out due to other family members not liking them.
Top Review by Outta Here
Great recipe and VERY filling! I cut it down to serve two and they were large servings. I used a 8 x 8 inch pan and did it in my "toaster" oven. We had it as a supper. I think it would be very versatile too, by using crumbled turkey sausage or chopped ham or Canadian bacon. This is going into my "Best of 2013" book.
- 10 bacon, strips diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute mushrooms and onions in drippings until tender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; cook until bubbly. Gradually stir in milk and cheese; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in the bacon, mushrooms and onions; remove from the heat and set aside.
- For scrambled eggs, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour into a greased skillet. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut English muffin halves in half again. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover with half of cheese sauce. Spoon eggs over all; top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.