Recipe by Kozmic Blues
We were craving chili dogs (no meat, of course) and had no buns. Here is what I came up with from what we had on hand. the spice measurements are not exact, I always add a bit more after I've added everthing to the pot. For the Pampered Chef Southwest seasoning, you can substitute a little more oregano with some garlic and onion powder. Also, if using cumin instead of the adobo seasoning, you might need to add some salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning (Pampered Chef)
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning or 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian hot dogs
Directions See How It's Made
- In your favorite chili sized pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and Southwest seasoning and saute about 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add chopped peppers (red, gree and jalapeno) and saute anothe 3-5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add dry spices and stir to coat.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chillies.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While chili simmers, slice the veggie dogs into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the veggie dogs, just to give them a little color. Do not overcook.
- Add the kidney beans and veggie dogs. Stir to combine.
- Simmer over low heat for another five minutes.
- Check the spices and adjust as needed.