Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
An easy make ahead strata from my favorite new casserole cookbook. This recipe uses english muffins for the base instead of slices of bread.
- In the bottom of a greased 3 quart rectangular baking dish, arrange muffin halves in the bottom. Overlap muffins as neccesary to make them fit well; set aside.
- Using a large skillet, cook sausage until brown, drain.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Add sausage, sour cream, and chilies and mix until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the muffins and press lightly to thoroughly moisten the muffins.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Prep and cook time does not include chilling time.
This breakfast casserole is devine!! The aroma while baking was intoxicating and it has a savory, sweetness to it that is unique and delicious. I was running low on cheddar cheese, so I used a combination of cheddar, Swedish Fontina, and monterray jack. I also added some salt and fresh ground pepper to the egg mixture before pouring over the English Muffins. This was so quick and easy to throw together too. Thanks Laurie for this winner of a recipe!! My family and I LOVED it!! Made for Kitten's Scandinavian Tag.
Yummy! I used turkey sausage in place of pork -- we're trying to watch the fat intake, and cut servings for the 2 of us. Really easy to make ahead and pop in the oven for a simple breakfast or in our case dinner. Thanks Lori! I'll make this again! Made for KK Chef's Pick Tag Nov 09
The picture doesn't do justice for the overall family approval! I almost forgot to take a picture and when I remembered - the pan was already half gone! I made this for the first day of school breakfast and it was a hit! Made for the September 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.