Recipe by YummySmellsca
This year's variety - based off of what we had in the house and pantry, coupled with the bounty of my backyard! It's a tangy, spicy (and - warning - boozy!) melange that will make Christmas tarts anywhere very happy.
- 3 large apples, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 medium beet, shredded
- 18 ounces tomatoes, chopped (preferably green)
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen)
- 3⁄4 cup demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄3 cups raisins
- 4 ounces dried apricots, diced
- 12 prunes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup diced dates
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh-grated ginger
- 1⁄3 cup rum
- 1⁄4 cup almond liqueur (like Amaretto)
- 4 ounces mixed nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except the rum, amaretto and nuts in a large pot. Cover, and cook over low heat for 3 hours.
- Stir in the rum, amaretto and nuts, re-cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2" space.
- Process for 20 minutes in a water-bath canner. Alternatively freeze up to 1 year.