Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Homemade is so much better than store-bought and this recipe is a breeze - you don't even have to cook it. Makes a good-sized batch - enough to for 3-4 pies or a plethora of tasty tarts (then you can stir it into pancake batter, muffins, cakes....)
- 453.59 g currants
- 226.79 g raisins
- 453.59 g granny smith apple, peeled and diced (about 2 large)
- 453.59 g dark brown sugar
- 226.79 g candied peel, finely chopped
- 85.04 g chopped almonds
- 85.04 g chopped walnuts
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml clove
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml mace
- 0.59 ml ginger
- 59.16 ml dark rum
- 177.44 ml cognac or 177.44 ml brandy
- Mix all the ingredients together, stirring well.
- Spoon into clean, screwtop jars and cover.
- Allow to sit atleast 2 weeks before using, turning the jars every so often to redistribute juices.
- The mincemeat keeps months like this.
I couldn't find candied peel so I made my own. I think that for this recipe the quality of the ingredients are paramount. I'm not a fan of mincemeat but dh loves it. I will be making this again in for Christmas gifts for my mincemeat loving family.