Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Homemade is so much better than store-bought and this recipe is a breeze - you don't even have to cook it. Makes a good-sized batch - enough to for 3-4 pies or a plethora of tasty tarts (then you can stir it into pancake batter, muffins, cakes....)
- 1 lb currants
- 1⁄2 lb raisins
- 1 lb granny smith apple, peeled and diced (about 2 large)
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces candied peel, finely chopped
- 3 ounces chopped almonds
- 3 ounces chopped walnuts
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup cognac or 3⁄4 cup brandy
- Mix all the ingredients together, stirring well.
- Spoon into clean, screwtop jars and cover.
- Allow to sit atleast 2 weeks before using, turning the jars every so often to redistribute juices.
- The mincemeat keeps months like this.
I couldn't find candied peel so I made my own. I think that for this recipe the quality of the ingredients are paramount. I'm not a fan of mincemeat but dh loves it. I will be making this again in for Christmas gifts for my mincemeat loving family.