Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
My step-son always refused to eat venison, so we had to come up with creative ways to disguise it. This very tender and savory slow cooker pot roast always had him coming back for more. It wasn't until years later we revealed the truth of the roast's origins! Serve roast, vegetables aand gravy over mashed potatoes.
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped portabella mushroom
- 3 lbs venison rump roast
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopedry onion gravy mix
- hot cooked mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange the onions, carrots, and mushrooms in the bottom of the slow cooker. Rub the venison rump roast with garlic, black pepper, and salt (if using), then place on top of the vegetables. Mix the cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, water, and onion gravy mix in a bowl until gravy mix is dissolved; pour soup mixture over the roast.
- Cook on HIGH setting until roast is very tender, 8 to 10 hours. Slice roast before serving with gravy and vegetables over top hot cooked mashe potatoes.