Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Recipe from Cathy Logan in Sparks, Nevada
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef flank steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, medium, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 medium red potatoes, medium, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large skillet, brown steak and onion in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Delicious basic recipe, but I added some seasonings for more flavor. I also used beef stew meat instead of steak and it worked great! I added freshly ground black pepper, a bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 4 cloves minced garlic, Emeril's Essence, and I added worcestershire sauce and red wine to the meat while browning it. I used 3 cans of the beef broth and only 1 can of the tomatoes, so it would be more like veggie beef soup than tomato soup. It turned out excellent, husband and son loved it. Served it with grilled cheese sandwiches. I am looking forward to the leftovers, one of the best veggie beef soups I've made.
I like this as a basic soup recipe. I added a splash of worcestershire sauce and used stew beef.
Kerena - this is a very nice soup for those cool evenings. The only thing I changed was the addition of diced tomatoes b/c if my kids see a tomato they freak so I used some tomato puree instead. It is great that this can sit in the crock pot all day and come out so tasty. Made for Fall PAC 2008. Thanks for sharing.