Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is from Southern U.S. Cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 dash allspice
- 4 lbs chicken, breasts and thighs
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1⁄2 large bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold milk
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- The night before you plan on slow cooking your dinner, mix together the marinade ingredients in a large, closable container large enough to also hold the chicken pieces.
- When marinade is thoroughly mixed, add the chicken, close container and refrigerate until morning.
- In the morning place the chicken in the slow cooker/Crock Pot and add marinade up to about an inch from the top of the container.
- Set the cooker on low and cover.
- Then, 6 to 8 hours later, turn the cooker to high.
- About an hour later, saute the sliced mushrooms in the margarine or butter.
- Then add the mushrooms (with pan juices), mandarin sections, green pepper and ginger into the slow cooker and stir thoroughly.
- Mix together the cornstarch, milk and cold water, then gradually add into the slow cooker while stirring until the entire mixture thickens a bit.
- Re-cover the slow cooker/Crock Pot and let simmer for 15 to 30 minutes until serving.
this looks alot more complicated than it is, and the end result is a delicious dinner . i omitted the canned oranges and pepper, for the kids, but otherwise followed the recipe. great dinner to come home to
I'm not sure what happened, but the more this dish cooked the worse it got. I followed everything to a tee, but did not turn out well. Sorry.
This was not good... my husband barely ate it... and that Never Happens. I think it needs some acid to brighten it up, it is terribly bland as is.