Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This delicious chicken recipe, roasted in the crockpot, is moist and tender and very easy to prepare. The garlic, lemon, thyme, and rosemary impart wonderful flavors.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (3 - 4 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (Reserve the juiced lemons)
- 1 green apple, sliced thin
- 1 head garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Remove giblets from inside the chicken; discard.
- Rinse chicken thorughly and drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour the lemon juice into the crockpot.
- Carefully slide your fingers between the meat and the skin of the roaster. Without tearing the skin, separate the skin from the meat of the breast; gently slide the apple slices between the skin and meat.
- Peel the garlic; stuff about half of the whole cloves into the chicken cavity. Add the reserved juiced lemons to the cavity.
- Rub the chicken skin with the vegetable oil. Mix together the salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, thyme, rosemary and cayenne pepper; rub over the chicken skin; place breast-side down in crockpot.
- Pour the wine into the crockpot. Add the bay leaf; place the remaining garlic cloves on top and around chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. The chicken should be fork tender and thoroughly cooked (170 degrees).
- Remove the roaster from the crock pot with a spatula to keep from falling apart. Serve over rice or wide egg noodles, and ENJOY.