Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This delicious chicken recipe, roasted in the crockpot, is moist and tender and very easy to prepare. The garlic, lemon, thyme, and rosemary impart wonderful flavors.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (3 - 4 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (Reserve the juiced lemons)
- 1 green apple, sliced thin
- 1 head garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Remove giblets from inside the chicken; discard.
- Rinse chicken thorughly and drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour the lemon juice into the crockpot.
- Carefully slide your fingers between the meat and the skin of the roaster. Without tearing the skin, separate the skin from the meat of the breast; gently slide the apple slices between the skin and meat.
- Peel the garlic; stuff about half of the whole cloves into the chicken cavity. Add the reserved juiced lemons to the cavity.
- Rub the chicken skin with the vegetable oil. Mix together the salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, thyme, rosemary and cayenne pepper; rub over the chicken skin; place breast-side down in crockpot.
- Pour the wine into the crockpot. Add the bay leaf; place the remaining garlic cloves on top and around chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. The chicken should be fork tender and thoroughly cooked (170 degrees).
- Remove the roaster from the crock pot with a spatula to keep from falling apart. Serve over rice or wide egg noodles, and ENJOY.