Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is another adaptation of mine. This is much more filling than I originally thought.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 white onions, diced
- 2 white boiling potatoes, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 10 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch (rough amount, to thicken)
- Shake up flour, salt, pepper, and beef in a plastic bag.
- Brown beef with olive oil.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes into water Add beef, onions, potatoes, garlic, and broth to crock pot.
- Simmer on low for 3 hours.
- Add carrots, celery and spices (to taste).
- Simmer another hour.
- Turn off crock pot, remove half the broth to another pan.
- Mix 2 tbsp corn starch with 1/4 cup cold water, add to broth and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Repeat until as thick as you like, stir back into stew.
- When stew is the right consistency, simmer until dinner time.
- The longer it simmers the better, but check the veggies every hour so they don't get too soft.
I loved this one. Very filling and delicious! Had a nice fresh Italian bread with it.