Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- 5 potatoes, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 medium onions, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 5 -6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 7 -8 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place everything except the peas in a dutch oven or crockpot.
- If cooking in oven cook in dutch oven at 250 degrees for 6-7 hours.
- Cook in crockpot for 8-10 hours on low.
- Add the peas during the last half hour of cooking.
Very good stew and the smell tormented me all day! Had no green peas, so I subbed fresh green beans. Hubby and I will enjoy the leftovers tomorrow! I also doubled the spices and added seasoning salt.
This is a very flavorable stew. I followed the recipe as written and put it in my 6 quart crockpot. I would give this recipe a 5 Star for flavor but a 4 Star for cooking instructions. I had to scoop out liquid twice during cooking and added twice the 4 Tablespoons of Tapioca but after nine hours of cooking it still wasnt the consitency of a stew. I would suggest next time to drain tomatoes or only use one can. My crockpot was pretty full to start which should of given me a clue it would over flow. The red wine added a great flavor to the broth. Served it with Red Lobster Biscuits the recipe also found on Zaar.