Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy no-brainer. Have a hearty dinner waiting for you when you get home in the evening.
Make and share this All Day Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 4 carrots, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 medium turnip, cut in small chunks or diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 pinch salt or 1 pinch salt substitute
- 1 low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Stir all ingredients together in slow cooker/crockpot.
- Cover and cook all day on low.
- Stir gently and serve with green veggies.
Not only was this a very easy recipe to make (hardest part is cleaning and cutting up the vegetables) but it was delicious as well. The house smelled wonderful with the aroma produced from the stew while it was cooking. My husband and I had turnips for the first time in our lives too. I would recommend this recipe to anyone that enjoys beef and vegetables. I used more than a dash of thyme, oregano, and salt - probably a teaspoon or more of each for additional flavor. (Next time I might try using diced tomatoes rather than whole tomatoes just so that there are pieces throughout but it wouldn't change the recipe a bit.)
This was a very delicious stew! I didn't have any turnip in the house so I left that out, but I was very impressed with the fact that you didn't have to brown the stewing beef first - just throw it all in and stir - WoW!
I made this without the beef, used vegetable bouillon, and threw in a few extra spices, for the benefit of a couple of vegetarian friends. They, and I, loved it. I'll make another batch for myself, and I'll try stewing lamb instead of beef.