1/3 Photos of All Chocolate Boston Cream Pie
1 hr 25 mins
This cake is an absolute chocolate-lover's dream! The glaze must be a little warm when poured over the cooled cakes or the glaze will not set properly, place in the refrigerator as soon as possible to harden the glaze --- one box of Duncan Hines deviled food chocolate cake mix may be used instead and baked in two 8-inch round pans, I previously baked the cakes in 9-inch pans and found they were too flat, so I suggest 8-inch pans for the boxed cake mix :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1/4 cups full-fat milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease two (9-inch) round cake pans, then line bottoms with parchment paper, then grease the paper lightly.
- 3For the cake; in a large bowl combine the flour and sugar; set aside.
- 4In a medium saucepan combine butter, water and cocoa powder; heat just to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- 5Pour the chocolate mixture over the flour mixture; whisk to combine completely.
- 6Whisk in the eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla until combined.
- 7Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans.
- 8Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes test done with a toothpick inserted in the center.
- 9Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- 10For the filling; In a bowl combine the instant pudding mix and half and half cream or full-fat milk; beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- 11Add in the thawed Cool Whip topping and beat on low speed for about 2 minutes or until thoroughly combined; chill until set (about 6-8 minutes).
- 12For the glaze; heat butter, sifted cocoa powder and 6 tablespoons 18% cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from heat and slowly add in the vanilla and confectioners sugar whisking until smooth (if you add in the confectioners sugar in to fast it will become lumpy).
- 13Place 1 cake round upside down onto a cake platter or large plate.
- 14Top with the chocolate pudding mixture (there will be lots of the pudding mixture, which is is good thing, cause that's the best part lol!).
- 15Place the second layer over the top of the pudding mixture.
- 16Allow the glaze to cool just slightly until a thick pourable texture is achieved.
- 17Slowly pour the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides.
- 18Place in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 4 hours before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All Chocolate Boston Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 913.2
- Calories from Fat 457
- Total Fat 50.8 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 159.8 mg
- Sodium 716.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 79.6 g
- Protein 8.7 g