Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (7 percent fat)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes, thick
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine the turkey, onion, bell pepper, ketchup, mustard, salt and thyme in a bowl.
- Form into 4 patties, each about 1 inch thick.
- Do not work the meat, or pack it when shaping the patties, with your hands.
- (Doing so makes the burgers less moist).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium high.
- Add the burgers and cook about 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tops of the burgers, cover the pan and turn the heat to low (If the pan is dry, add 2 tablespoons water before covering it).
- Remove the burgers from the pan when the cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Top each patty with a tomato slice and piece of lettuce and serve on a bun.
Flavorful and different. The patties were very soft and had to take great care when handling to keep from breaking up. Good choice when you want out of the ordinary.