Meat, potatoes, and vegetables all in one terrific sandwich. The gem? Made all in one pan. Enjoy! (Made for RSC #16)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 -3 fingerling potatoes, sliced thin (or use 1 large potato)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 rolls (sub style)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (or your favorite)
vegetables and meat
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 lb beef tips, kept thin (sliced as needed to keep them thin)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 portabella mushroom, cap sliced
- SAUCE: Mix all sauce ingredients well, cover and set aside.
- POTATOES: Heat oil in a skillet to 350°F Add sliced potatoes and fry, turning occasionally, until done (about 7-10 min). Drain potatoes on paper towels, and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- ROLLS: To the pan with oil, reduce heat to medium and add the butter. When melted, add the garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until garlic is tender.
- Place the cut side of the rolls face down into the garlic butter. Press gently to coat. Place rolls onto a baking sheet, butter side up. Broil in oven or toaster oven until nicely browned and toasted. Remove from broiler and set rolls onto plates. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to the bottom bun.
- VEGETABLES: To the pan over medium-high heat, add the peppers and onions. Cover and let steam 2-3 minutes. Remove lid, stir, and continue cooking until onions are translucent and peppers done. Place vegetables in a dish and set aside.
- MEAT: To the pan add a bit more olive oil and butter if necessary. (enough to sear steak). Add seasoned steak and let sear for 2-3 minutes. Toss and continue searing until almost desired doneness. Add mushrooms to pan and saute' for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are browned and flavored with the meat juices. Drain meat and mushrooms onto a paper towel.
- ASSEMBLY: To each bottom bun, add the meat, then vegetables, then potatoes. To the top bun, spread with sauce and place over top. Grab lots of napkins, a fork (to catch what falls on the plate), and enjoy.
- ALTERNATIVE: Wrap sandwich in foil and eat 'to go' style.