Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
These take awhile, but they are so good and they are very easy and inexpensive to prepare. For an added treat serve them with traditional Boston Brown Bread. Soaking time is not reflected in either the prep or cook times.
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water by at least 3 inches.
- Soak overnight.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine beans and bay leaves.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling gently for about 45 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans reserving 4 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350^F.
- In a large oven proof pot with a lid, combine the onion, salt pork, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard and pepper.
- Stir in the beans and 3 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Cover the pot tightly with foil and then the lid.
- Bake until the beans are very tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 2+1/2 hours.
- Add more liquid as necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
I loved these beans. I didn't add the salt pork though, my hubby is Jewish and won't eat it, so I added some turkey bacon to it instead. The flavour of these beans is very nice, not too over powering and not too subtle, just right. Thanks for such a good recipe.