Recipe by Lottidawe
After my five roommates and I have this for dinner I am still left with about 30 to 40 individual servings in the freezer. This chili freezes perfectly. I make this up once every 6 months and the last bag tastes just as good as the day I made it! Before sharing this recipe I had to think long and hard because it truly is my most prized and coveted recipe. It took me years of playing around and it's just near perfect. If you win at the county fair all I ask for is honorable mention, a picture of the ribbon, a postcard from your town, and maybe your favorite pie recipe! Be sure to load it up with cheddar, sour cream, bread and nacho chips!! Also great for chili dogs!! ***Response to Reviews: I understand some people want the taste of cumin in their chili - I don't like cumin & think it has no place in chili - not in my chili anyway. As to the "no chili" flavour review, I completely understand if it is the cumin you are missing. Maybe you should have considered that before trying this recipe then writing a bad review of it. If you followed the recipe & used the peppers you would find it to be packed with flavour & a moderate heat. Happy many have enjoyed this cumin-free recipe. :)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 ounces water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 chili peppers, whole (cut slits lengthwise)
- 5 jalapeno peppers, whole (cut slits lengthwise)
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots (whole)
- 20 -30 button mushrooms (whole)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 lb steak, diced (any cut)
- 1 lb ground beef (I like to use chicken) or 1 lb ground chicken (I like to use chicken) or 1 lb ground pork (I like to use chicken)
- 1 (20 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, cooked
- 1 (20 ounce) can black turtle beans, cooked
- 1 (20 ounce) can lentils, cooked
- 1 pinch oregano (use sparingly, strong flavour)
- basil (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ALL ingredients in a pot and cook for 5 to 10 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Put the chili and jalapeno peppers in last with their stems sticking up out of the chili. This makes them easy to remove for those who don't want their chili hot!
- The ingredients list is enough to make 2 pots worth (dutch oven size).
- I usually omit the meat from one pot and make a vegetarian batch at the same time. It's good for your vegan friends and as lighter fare for lunch!
- **All amounts are approximate. Use what is convenient, available and adjust to taste.
- **The meat can go into the pot raw with all the other ingredients. It will cook right along with them and be more flavourful and tender as a result - especially the steak. I am so happy you like this chili! Thank you for the great reviews! Enjoy!