Recipe by Poll_of_the_Purple_Ilk
By request Recipe Source: WHAT TO COOK WHEN YOU THINK THERE'S NOTHING IN THE HOUSE TO EAT by Arthur Schwartz Comments: The law on cole slaw is cabbage and vinegar. All the rest is interpretation. Adjust the recipe to taste: Add more mayonnaise, substitute sour cream or yogurt for some (but not all) of the mayonnaise, or add a supplement of one or the other. Add diced green and/or red pepper if you have one, celery or caraway seeds if you like that kind of thing, or shredded celery for an extra fresh taste.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green cabbage, quartered cored and shredded
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, grated (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage with the vinegar and salt.
- Grate the carrots and optional onion directly into the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and toss well.
- The slaw can be served immediately, but it is much better-- more melded and tender-- if allowed to stand and tossed occasionally for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- For a very limp slaw, refrigerate several hours or overnight.