Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This meatloaf has ground meat from two cuts of beef -- sirloin for its beefy flavor, and chuck for moistness and tender texture. Tip: When shaping meatloaf in the pan, use a light touch. Packing it tightly will make the loaf dense and tough. For even browning and to prevent drippings from pooling on the top of the meatloaf, use your fingers to round the top while pushing the sides away from the edges of the pan.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup beef broth or 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 slices hearty bakery bread, cubed (I used sourdough, about 2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 3⁄4 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- parsley, chopped, sliced green onions, and black pepper are optional garnishes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine eggs, broth, worcestershire sauce; stir in bread cubes. Let stand 15 minutes. With fork, mash bread cubes into small pieces. Stir in Parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper. Add meat, green pepper and onion. Using hands, mix ingredients together well (do not overmix). Lightly pat meat mixture into 9x5x3-inch pan. With fingers, lightly pull loaf away from sides of pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 1/4 hours. For topping, in a small bowl stir together ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar. Spoon on loaf. Bake 15 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaf reads 160 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. To remove, use two large spatulas inserted along short edges to life loaf from pan to a platter. Optional -- sprinkle with parsely, green onions and 1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper.