Recipe by AZRT
Wonderful Cooking Light magazine variation of a favorite soup.
Top Review by Mom4Life
I had been making a TNT chili recipe for over 10 yrs, but after reading all the rave reviews for this recipe on the Cooking Light BB, I had to give it a try. It seemed fussy to use Italian sausage and wine, but the final results were so worth it. This is now my go to recipe for chili. I shared this with some women at my playgroup and they all wanted the recipe. It really was that good!
- 6 ounces hot sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups merlot or 1 1⁄4 cups other fruity red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeno) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.