Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great hearty chili to feed the family. Great anytime.
Make and share this All American Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups merlot (or beef broth)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-heat.
- Remove casings from sausage.
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, ground sirloin, and jalapeno to pan; cook 10-12 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, pepper, salt, bay leaves, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, kidney beans, and pinto beans; bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.