2 hrs 30 mins
Cook's Country; best to make a day or two in advance for maximum flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef (85% lean)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- 2Add the onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 3Increase the heat to med-high and add half the beef, breaking up the chunks with a wooden spoon , until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add the remaining beef and cook, breaking up the chunks with the wooden spoon until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes.
- 5Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 6Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 7Remove the cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if the chili begins to stick to the bottom of the pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until the beef is tender and the chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened.
- 8Adjust seasonings with additional salt to taste.
- 9Serve with the lime wedges and condiments of your choice-diced fresh tomatoes, diced avocado, sliced scallions, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, sour cream, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All-American Beef Chili With Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.5
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 144.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 27.9 g