Recipe by Charlotte J
This recipe came with my Nordicware Train Cake Pan. I don't wait to lose it so I'm posting it here. The pan has a 5 cup/ 1.2 L capacity. Fill the pan no more then 3/4 full to avoid overflow.
Top Review by bean846
I bought this train pan, too, and loved the recipe that came with it. I couldn't find the recipe last time I went to make the Snickerdoodle cake and was devastated. I tried another online recipe and it wasn't nearly the same. This recipe is moist, delicious, and always a favorite with kids and adults! Thank you for sharing!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons milk
- assorted candy
- candy sprinkles, for decorating
- food coloring
- green decorator sugar
- black licorice, twist for train track
Directions See How It's Made
- Also Need:.
- 1 large cake, board or 1 piece , sturdy cardboard.
- hot glue, gun for gluing train tracks.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease train pan and dust with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and almond extract; mix until well blended.
- Add sour cream mixture to flour mixture and blend on low speed, scraping bowl often.
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Carefully spoon batter into pan, dividing evenly among cups.
- Top pan firmly on countertop to remove any air bubbles.
- Spread batter out to top edges of each cup, so batter is lower in the center.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-27 minutes, until toothpick inserted come out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan; invert cakes onto cooling rack and cool completely.
- In large bowl, combine vegetable shortening, butter and vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping bowl often.
- Add milk, beating on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Remove 2 1/2 cups frosting and color as desired to decorate train cars.
- Decorate with assorted candies.
- To make train tracks: cut black licorice twists in half lengthwise.
- Using glue gun, pipe glue along cut side of licorice.
- Glue licorice to cardboard.
- Cotinue with licorice, shaping track as desired.
- Color remaining frosting green and spread onto cardboard around train track. Sprinkle with green sugar.
- Place decorated tan onto tracks.
- Makes 9 cake train cars.