Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I usually make this after we have scrambled eggs for breakfast, using the leftover scrambled eggs in the rice! For veggie lovers, use the recipe's two cups of rice, but you can add another cup of rice if you like your fried rice more...rice-ier.
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, divided
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked rice, cold
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Scramble (finely, little pieces) the eggs in a wok. Remove and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of shortening to hot wok (medium high heat) and add onions. Saute (I like mine caramelized a bit) onions to your preference.
- Add to wok the celery and carrot. Saute for about ten minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and saute for another four to five minutes.
- Add remaining two tablespoons of shortening to wok and add cold rice.
- Cook for about fifteen minutes, stirring every three to four minutes. (I let my rice caramelize also).
- Mix ginger and soy sauce together, toss in with rice.
- Add scrambled eggs to rice.
- Cook, stirring, another five minutes or until your preference.
- Makes 4 one cup servings.
We loved this fried rice. I used 2 cups of rice and, for us, it was a perfect ratio of rice and vegetables. This is a keeper and I can wait to make it again. Thanks for sharing, Tornado Ali.
I added some ground sausage, good.