Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
my friend Ali made this for me and my coworker and it was good!
need for Filling
- 5 large tart green apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
need for Crust
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 6 -10 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- Peel, core, and slice apples into ½ inch slices.
- Soak apples in water and lemon juice.
- Let sit while you prepare crust.
- Making your Crust
- Combine the flour, almond meal, and salt in a bowl. Slice the butter into ½ inch slices with a knife, and add the butter, mixing with your hands until the mixture resembles course meal. Lightly work in enough water for the dough to cohere when brought together with hands. If dough is too sticky, simply add a little flour. Work the dough into a ball and leave in the fridge until chilled.
- Making your Filling
- Drain soaked apples and dry thoroughly. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and vinegar into a large bowl, then add apples. Mix together until apples are well-coated. If mixture is too wet, simply drain liquid and add more flour.
- Making your Pie!
- When dough is chilled, cut in half and roll out that half into a circle with rolling pin. (I always use a rolling pin sleeve and a pastry cloth to keep the dough from sticking, but you can also sprinkle flour.) The circled crust should be about ⅛ inch thick, or wide enough to cover pie tin. After laying crust into pie tin, trim the excess and combine with other half of dough. Add the pie filling discarding the excess liquid. Then roll out the remainder of dough into a circle and cover the top of your pie. (I usually either cut a slit on the top of the pie for the heat to escape, or use a small cookie cutter.) Using your thumb or a fork, crimp the edge of the pie crust. Bake at 350° for about 15 minuets, checking every 5 min to ensure golden brown. Let cool and enjoy!