Recipe by Tornado Ali
A "low-heat" gumbo that my family loves. The Cajun spice can be measured out to your family's tastes.
Top Review by Mrs. Gottrocks
Fabulously delicious is the only way to describe this total comfort food!! I used leftover chicken, smoked turkey, and polish sausage. I left out the carrots and the celery, but we did not miss them!!! The broth had just the right cajun "kick" to it. I did add an 8oz. can of tomato sauce and a can of spicy chili beans for additional flavor and texture. Thank you Tornado Ali, for sharing a great recipe!!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) package smoked sausage
- 1 zucchini, sliced into medium thick quarters
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Cook chicken (any way) and dice.
- Slice the smoked sausage into medium thick quarters, refrigerate.
- Refrigerate zucchini.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into crock pot, set on low for six hours.
- After six hours, add smoked sausage and zucchini. Continue cooking for another two hours. (If too watery for your tastes, add a can of tomato paste).
- Serve over hot rice in bowls. Chopped fresh cucumber can be added to individual servings to combat the heat, if desired.