Recipe by Dee514
Since pumpkin is the "Ingredient of the Month", I thought I would contribute a few pumpkin recipes. If you like risotto, and are looking for something a bit different, you should give this one a try. I think the nutmeg and gorgonzola cheese are an interesting combination with the pumpkin. The risotto can be served as a side dish or main course.
Top Review by Citruholic
A very good recipe. I opted to go with the classic way of making risotto, starting with olive oil instead of vegetable oil for the sautÃ© with shallots (not onions), then adding in a splash of white wine, followed by slowly adding warmed chicken stock for a true risotto other than the bouillon cube, which I find to be too salty. And of course finishing off with the king of cheeses, Parmigiana Reggiano. Otherwise, followed the method, and it came out great. Nice recipe.
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup cooked and pureed sugar pumpkin (canned is ok, sugar pumpkins are the small, round ones, usually used for pies.)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup gorgonzola (or to taste)
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve boullion cube in the water.
- Sauté the onion and chopped garlic in vegetable oil in a wide-bottomed pan.
- Add the rice.
- Add the water/bouillon mixture.
- Add the pureed pumpkin.
- Stir the pumpkin into the rice.
- Cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add Gorgonzola cheese at the last minute and stir.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.