1/1 Photo of Alice's Nanaimo Bars
1 hr 5 mins
A recipe handed down from my mother-in-law. Passive work time is estimate of time necessary to chill.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup soft butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons bird's custard powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (or amount necessary)
- 3 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1Bottom Layer: In double boiler melt together butter, cocoa, and sugar. Stir in egg and vanilla. Remove from heat and add graham cracker crumbs, nuts, and coconut. Pack in buttered 9 x 12-inch pan.
- 2Middle Layer: In a medium-sized bowl, mix together icing sugar, butter, custard powder and enough cream (or milk) to reach spreading consistancy. Spread over first layer. Set aside.
- 3Top layer: Melt semi-sweet chocolate squares with butter. Spread in thin layer over top of custard layer.
- 4Chill until set. Cut in squares. Store in refrigerator or they get too soft.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice's Nanaimo Bars
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.7
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 54.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: