Recipe by Chef SuzyQ
One of my dearest friends had a mother who was "famous" in our town for her fabulous cooking and baking. She was a wonderful lady who never served a bad meal; everything that came out of her kitchen was something to rave about. This recipe was one of hers and for years now I've served it at every holiday brunch. This goes together quickly and can be made a day ahead (just be sure to add additional cooking time if it's refrigerated). Often I'll add fresh tomatoes and cilantro for a little extra flavor and color.
- 7 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (separated)
- 24 ounces Jimmy Dean sausage, fried and drained
- 3 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Spread bread cubes across bottom of pan.
- Layer 1 cup of the cheese over bread.
- Layer sausage.
- Top sausage with remaining cheese.
- In blender or mixer, blend together remaining ingredients and pour over the cheese, bread, and sausage layers.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped, drained tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or cover and refrigerate overnight.