Recipe by Dr. David
This is my mother's recipe that she got from her mother, who was born in Montreal Canada. We have had these pies every Christmas since I was a little kid. It would not be Christmas in our family without mom's tourtieres! Thanks mom for the recipe and all the wonderful holidays you gave us over the years!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 -6 potatoes, cooked and lightly mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (2 count) boxespillsbury ready-made pie crusts (enough for 2 pies, bottom and top crust)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook meat in a skillet on medium heat until brown, then drain and place meat in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes a little at a time to meat.
- Add seasonings and mix.
- Add more seasonings to taste.
- Place pie dough on 2 pie plates.
- Add half of mixture to each pie.
- Cover each pie with remaining dough.
- Seal the edges of pies and cut 5 to 6 vent holes on the tops of pies.
- Brush top of pies with melted butter.
- Bake 20 - 30 minutes at 350°F or until crusts are golden brown.