Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mother's recipe that she got from her mother, who was born in Montreal Canada. We have had these pies every Christmas since I was a little kid. It would not be Christmas in our family without mom's tourtieres! Thanks mom for the recipe and all the wonderful holidays you gave us over the years!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 -6 potatoes, cooked and lightly mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (2 count) boxespillsbury ready-made pie crusts (enough for 2 pies, bottom and top crust)
- Cook meat in a skillet on medium heat until brown, then drain and place meat in a large bowl.
- Add potatoes a little at a time to meat.
- Add seasonings and mix.
- Add more seasonings to taste.
- Place pie dough on 2 pie plates.
- Add half of mixture to each pie.
- Cover each pie with remaining dough.
- Seal the edges of pies and cut 5 to 6 vent holes on the tops of pies.
- Brush top of pies with melted butter.
- Bake 20 - 30 minutes at 350°F or until crusts are golden brown.
Very tasty! I did find it needed gravy, though.
What a wonderful tortiere. Simply delicious! Made for My-3-Chefs tag.