Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy.
- gradually add sugar, beating constantly.
- Stir in the milk, shortening and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the liquid mixture,mixing well.
- Cover and chill the dough for 30 min.-1 hour for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 450 d egrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
- Roll out and pat the dough on a lightly floured board to a 1/2" thickness.
- Cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Place the doughnuts and holes on the baking sheet, about 1" apart. Bake for 10-15 min.
- or until golden brown.
- Brush each doughnut and hole with melted butter and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat all sides.
- Cinnamon-Sugar: 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon, In a small bowl, combine; blending well.
I find them just a little drier and more spongy than fried cake doughnuts, the dough being just dry enough to bake freeform. And, of course, they don't taste exactly like fried ones either. If you want ring doughnuts without special pans or deep-frying, this is probably as good as you'll get, and is a very tasty recipe in its own right. They're crusty when first baked, but I gave them a thin glaze and kept them in a tupperware and they've softened now.
I thought this would be something different for breakfast. Since I have not idea how to fry anything, this recipe looked appealing. The results were delightful. (My DH was was not as impressed.) I didn't have a doughnut cutter, so I cut the dough into strips using a pizza cutter and twisted them. They had a very tender texture similar to a cake doughnut on the inside and the outside texture resembled a biscuit. I brushed them with butter and dusted them with powdered sugar. I added a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon to the dough (just to experiment further). I think the next time, I may add a little grated lemon rind and omit the cinnamon.
The next best thing to deep fried. my family ate everry last one , they didn't even last a day. I misread the instructions and added the cinnamon to the batter.