3 hrs 45 mins
This is one of our family's Chicken Pot Pie recipes. The time spent in preparation is well worth it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs stewing chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb carrot, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cups celery, cut slantwise
- 24 small white onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1Place chicken in a large pot.
- 2Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, thyme, savory and bay leaf.
- 3Cover with hot water.
- 4Cover the pot and let simmer until chicken is tender.
- 5Remove chicken from the broth, skin and cut meat into 1" pieces.
- 6(the chicken should come off the bones easily).
- 7Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with the hot broth.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- 9Cook the carrots and the celery in water until just tender.
- 10Do not over cook Cook the pearl onions salted water for 15 minutes.
- 11Brown the mushrooms in butter over high heat for 2 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken from the jellied broth.
- 13Cook the broth down to 3 cups.
- 14Melt 3/4 cups of butter, stir in 3/4 cups of flour.
- 15Stir to blend and then add the milk and 3 cups of broth.
- 16Cook and stir until smooth and creamy.
- 17Add the cooked vegetables, mushrooms chicken, lemon juice and parsley.
- 18Heat for a few minutes and taste for seasoning.
- 19Place in a casserole and cover with the pie crust of your choice.
- 20Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice's Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (621 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 948.3
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 210.5 mg
- Sodium 1430.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 45.7 g