Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of our family's Chicken Pot Pie recipes. The time spent in preparation is well worth it
- 6 lbs stewing chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb carrot, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cups celery, cut slantwise
- 24 small white onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place chicken in a large pot.
- Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, thyme, savory and bay leaf.
- Cover with hot water.
- Cover the pot and let simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from the broth, skin and cut meat into 1" pieces.
- (the chicken should come off the bones easily).
- Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with the hot broth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Cook the carrots and the celery in water until just tender.
- Do not over cook Cook the pearl onions salted water for 15 minutes.
- Brown the mushrooms in butter over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the jellied broth.
- Cook the broth down to 3 cups.
- Melt 3/4 cups of butter, stir in 3/4 cups of flour.
- Stir to blend and then add the milk and 3 cups of broth.
- Cook and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cooked vegetables, mushrooms chicken, lemon juice and parsley.
- Heat for a few minutes and taste for seasoning.
- Place in a casserole and cover with the pie crust of your choice.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
This recipe is absolutely fabulous! If you haven't tried it yet, you should! You're missing out on a delectable feast. Great idea for a Sunday dinner.