Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of our family's Chicken Pot Pie recipes. The time spent in preparation is well worth it
Make and share this Alice's Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 6 lbs stewing chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb carrot, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cups celery, cut slantwise
- 24 small white onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place chicken in a large pot.
- Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, thyme, savory and bay leaf.
- Cover with hot water.
- Cover the pot and let simmer until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from the broth, skin and cut meat into 1" pieces.
- (the chicken should come off the bones easily).
- Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with the hot broth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Cook the carrots and the celery in water until just tender.
- Do not over cook Cook the pearl onions salted water for 15 minutes.
- Brown the mushrooms in butter over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the jellied broth.
- Cook the broth down to 3 cups.
- Melt 3/4 cups of butter, stir in 3/4 cups of flour.
- Stir to blend and then add the milk and 3 cups of broth.
- Cook and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cooked vegetables, mushrooms chicken, lemon juice and parsley.
- Heat for a few minutes and taste for seasoning.
- Place in a casserole and cover with the pie crust of your choice.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
This recipe is absolutely fabulous! If you haven't tried it yet, you should! You're missing out on a delectable feast. Great idea for a Sunday dinner.