3 hrs 45 mins
This is one of our family's Chicken Pot Pie recipes. The time spent in preparation is well worth it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs stewing chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb carrot, sliced 1 inch thick
- 2 cups celery, cut slantwise
- 24 small white onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb mushroom, quartered
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1Place chicken in a large pot.
- 2Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, thyme, savory and bay leaf.
- 3Cover with hot water.
- 4Cover the pot and let simmer until chicken is tender.
- 5Remove chicken from the broth, skin and cut meat into 1" pieces.
- 6(the chicken should come off the bones easily).
- 7Place the chicken in a bowl and cover with the hot broth.
- 8Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- 9Cook the carrots and the celery in water until just tender.
- 10Do not over cook Cook the pearl onions salted water for 15 minutes.
- 11Brown the mushrooms in butter over high heat for 2 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken from the jellied broth.
- 13Cook the broth down to 3 cups.
- 14Melt 3/4 cups of butter, stir in 3/4 cups of flour.
- 15Stir to blend and then add the milk and 3 cups of broth.
- 16Cook and stir until smooth and creamy.
- 17Add the cooked vegetables, mushrooms chicken, lemon juice and parsley.
- 18Heat for a few minutes and taste for seasoning.
- 19Place in a casserole and cover with the pie crust of your choice.
- 20Bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice's Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (621 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 948.3
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 210.5 mg
- Sodium 1430.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 45.7 g