Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The daily green
Make and share this Alice Waters' Spicy Cauliflower Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 fresh cilantro stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed of green leaves and coarsely chopped or 6 cups cauliflower
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- chopped fresh cilantro or of fresh mint
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, carrot, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chile powder, turmeric, chile flakes, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often, over medium heat.
- 2. When very soft but not browned, add the cilantro sprigs, cauliflower, chicken broth, and water. Raise the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir vigorously with a spoon or whisk to coarsely purée the soup. You may need to add more broth or water to thin the soup if it is too thick.
- 4. Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and serve hot. Garnish each serving with yogurt, cilantro or mint, and a squeeze of lime juice.
- For a richer soup, use all chicken broth.
- For a lighter, vegetarian soup, use all water.