1/2 Photos of Alice Medrich's Tiger Cake
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A wonderful marble cake made with extra virgin olive oil and a touch of white pepper. It actually improves on the second day, it's delicious toasted, it freezes beautifully and it's self-marbling! Cook time does not include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, natural (Not Dutch process)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (use a nice flavorful one)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- 5 large eggs, cold
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 1Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees F.
- 2If using a 10 or 12" tube or bundt pan, grease and flour the pan; if using two 6-cup loaf pans, line the pans with parchment.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water together until well blended; set aside.
- 4Mix the flour, baking powder, salt thoroughly and sift together onto a piece of waxed paper; set aside.
- 5In a large mixing bowl (with the whisk attachment if you have it), beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and pepper until well blended.
- 6Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Stop the mixer and add one third of the flour mixture; beat on low speed until just blended.
- 8Stop the mixer and add half the milk; beat on low until just blended.
- 9Repeat with another third of the flour, the remaining milk and the rest of the flour.
- 10Pour three cups of the batter into another bowl and stir in the cocoa mixture.
- 11Pour one third of the plain batter into the prepared pan (or divide between the two loaf pans)and top with one third of the chocolate batter.
- 12Repeat with the remaining batters, but don't worry about marbling--it happens by itself during the baking.
- 13Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about one hour and ten minutes for either the bundt/tube pan or the loaf pans.
- 14Cool in the pan(s) on a rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan(s) to release, invert and invert again so the cake ends up right side up on the rack.
- 15Cool completely before slicing.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice Medrich's Tiger Cake
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.6
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 90.9 mg
- Sodium 150.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 7.2 g