Cook1 hr 10 mins
A wonderful marble cake made with extra virgin olive oil and a touch of white pepper. It actually improves on the second day, it's delicious toasted, it freezes beautifully and it's self-marbling! Cook time does not include cooling time.
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder, natural (Not Dutch process)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (use a nice flavorful one)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, finely ground
- 5 large eggs, cold
- 1 cup milk, cold
- Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees F.
- If using a 10 or 12" tube or bundt pan, grease and flour the pan; if using two 6-cup loaf pans, line the pans with parchment.
- In a small bowl, mix the cocoa, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water together until well blended; set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt thoroughly and sift together onto a piece of waxed paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (with the whisk attachment if you have it), beat the sugar, oil, vanilla and pepper until well blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stop the mixer and add one third of the flour mixture; beat on low speed until just blended.
- Stop the mixer and add half the milk; beat on low until just blended.
- Repeat with another third of the flour, the remaining milk and the rest of the flour.
- Pour three cups of the batter into another bowl and stir in the cocoa mixture.
- Pour one third of the plain batter into the prepared pan (or divide between the two loaf pans)and top with one third of the chocolate batter.
- Repeat with the remaining batters, but don't worry about marbling--it happens by itself during the baking.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about one hour and ten minutes for either the bundt/tube pan or the loaf pans.
- Cool in the pan(s) on a rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan(s) to release, invert and invert again so the cake ends up right side up on the rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.