Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious moist carrot cake. I adapted this recipe from the Alice Bay Cookbook; just adding a couple of items to suit my taste.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together, and gradually add to wet mixture. Stir in grated carrots and nuts. Pour into a greased and lightly floured 9 X 13-inch pan or 3 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING.
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened.
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional).
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and mix well. Add nuts and vanilla. Spread on cooled cake.