Recipe by Mike Pellerin
An old recipe from a very old recipe clipping. Probably dates to the 30s or 40s. Alice B. Toklas was a very renown chef and the Partner of Gertrude Stein. She is sometimes best know as the creator the Hashish Brownie.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (do not use evaporated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In heavy skillet on medium-low heat, cook sugar stirring constantly till melted and caramel colored.
- Pour into a 9-inch round dish or baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, stir in water, condensed milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Set pan in a water bath.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until center is set (mix will jiggle).
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold run a knife around the edge and invert onto serving platter.