Mike Pellerin's Note:
An old recipe from a very old recipe clipping. Probably dates to the 30s or 40s. Alice B. Toklas was a very renown chef and the Partner of Gertrude Stein. She is sometimes best know as the creator the Hashish Brownie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In heavy skillet on medium-low heat, cook sugar stirring constantly till melted and caramel colored.
- 3Pour into a 9-inch round dish or baking pan.
- 4In a medium bowl, beat eggs, stir in water, condensed milk, vanilla and salt.
- 5Pour over caramelized sugar.
- 6Set pan in a water bath.
- 7Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until center is set (mix will jiggle).
- 8Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- 9To unmold run a knife around the edge and invert onto serving platter.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alice B. Toklas' Orange Caramel Custard
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.6
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 245.2 mg
- Sodium 270.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 91.9 g
- Protein 14.1 g