Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Alger, our mailman in the early 1980s in West Glenville, NY, gave us some of his homemade kielbasa to try and I BEGGED him for the recipe after we tried it. I have kept that recipe for 30 years now without actually making it, but we dragged it out again, planning to try it sometime soon, as we have natural casings on hand and a sausage stuffing attachment for our KitchenAid. The recipe is writtren in Alger's words, not mine, so you may find it vague.Here's to Alger, wherever he may be!
- 10 lbs fresh pork butt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing veal
- 4 large onions
- 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- pork sausage casing (one pound will be enough for about 20 pounds of filled sausages)
- Chop onions and garlic, cook well in 2 cups water.
- Cut meat into small pieces.
- Mix everything together (including the water) and refrigerate it overnight.
- Run mixture through a grinder and into casings.
- To cook, place in simmering water 50-55 minutes.