Recipe by Um Safia
'Zrodiya Mcharmla' also known as 'Carottes au vinaigre' is a very famous carrot dish in Algeria. This is actually delicious & isn't hard to make...beautiful with roast chicken! For a change to the carrots, you can also use courgette / zucchini or potato in its place.
Top Review by threeovens
I don't normally like carrots very well, but if I make them like this I will certainly eat them more often. I liked the bit of heat and the vinegar flavor which cut down on the sweetness of carrots. They tasted good both warm and at room temperature. Made for "Welcome to Algeria!" cooking event in the NA*ME forum.
- 500 g carrots
- 3 tablespoons oil (veg, olive, sunflower etc)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice the carrots into rounds; boil in lightly salted water until just tender.
- Meanwhile prepare the 'dersa' (sauce). In a grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the garlic, hot pepper and red pepper (paprika) with the caraway seeds and some salt (to taste).
- Add 1 tbsp water to the sauce. Mix the sauce with the oil and combine well. Drain the carrots. Pour the sauce over the carrots and return to to a low heat. Cover and cook on low for a few minutes to allow the carrots time to take on the flavour of the sauce.
- Add the vinegar and serve hot or cold (room temp!).