Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe is from week five of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every country on Earth, and Algeria is my fifth stop. Couscous has been called the national dish of Algeria, and this version is fragrant and delicious.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Perfect couscous dish - a wonderful blend of flavours! I used rice couscous to be gluten free, but that was the only change I made. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Made for Welcome To Algeria Tag Game / N*A*M*E Forum.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup couscous
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the mushrooms, chop the onions and grate the carrots. Heat the oil in a large pain and saute until the vegetables soften.
- Add the spices, the couscous, the lemon zest and the raisins. Stir until everything is well incorporated, then add the stock and the lemon juice.
- Simmer for three minutes, then cover and remove from the heat source. Let stand for five minutes.