1/2 Photos of Algerian Tli Tli B'djedj - Pasta With Chicken!
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Um Safia's Note:
This is our family recipe for the very traditional Algerian dish tli tli. You can make tli tli with chicken or meat - the meat recipe is slightly different & I will post it later. You can use any tiny pasta for this but traditionally homemade tli til pasta OR orzo / bird's tongue that is used. My kids love it when I use the tiny stars or shells also. Traditionally we steam the pasta for this but you can cook it for 4 minutes or so in plenty of lighty salted water before adding the sauce - the pasta needs to absorb quite a bit of the sauce so keep it undercooked..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (or 6-8 pieces bone-in chicken)
- 3/4-1 cup canned chick-peas
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree, concentrate
- 2 onions
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- 3 -4 eggs
- 500 g orzo pasta (or homemade tli tli )
- 1 chicken stock cube
- olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1Cut chicken up into serving sizes (6-8 pieces)
- 2Brown in a large pan with the ghee, finely chopped onions, cinnamon, ras el hanout & pepper. Add 1 cup water & cook for 10 minutes
- 3Add chick peas & add enough water to cover. tomato puree & the stock cube.
- 4Cover & cook on medium heat for 1 hour & a half in a pan or 40 mins in the pressure cooker on med-high. If cooking in a pan, you may need to add a little extra water.
- 5Whilst the sauce is cooking, prepare the pasta & eggs.
- 6Hard boil the eggs, then peel & cut into halves.
- 7In a bowl, mix the pasta with 1/2 cup water & a tiny bit of olive or sunflower oil. Place in a steamer & steam for 15 minutes. Remove from steamer & separate the pasta with a little water.
- 8Put the pasta in a large pan & slowly spoon in a little sauce at a time until the pasta is fully cooked & the sauce has been absorbed nicely - the pasta should be moist with a little sauce coating it - not dry.
- 9Place pasta in a large dish / platter & top with the chicken pieces, egg halves & a some more sauce.
- 10Serve immediately with a green salad & crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Tli Tli B'djedj - Pasta With Chicken!
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 918.7
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 279.3 mg
- Sodium 473.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 54.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix