Mchewek are small balls of mainly almond filling which are moist and slightly chewy on the inside while crisp on the outside. Simple to make but incredibly delicious...
- 3 cups ground almonds (ground in food processor) or 3 cups desiccated coconut (ground in food processor)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 small eggs (approx)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sliced almonds (to roll onto) or 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- glace cherries, to decorate
- Put ground almonds or coconut, baking powder, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well (traditionally with your hand). Slowly incorporate the eggs until a firm paste has been achieved.
- Make small balls from the dough - slightly larger than a malteser or olive. Roll each ball in the chopped flaked almonds or coconut and coat well.
- Place the mchewek balls on a baking sheet which has been greased and lightly floured. Put 1/4 a glace cherry on the top in the centre of each mchewek.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 170c for approximately 12 minutes or until almonds have turned a pale golden colour.
- Allow to cool before placing in small bun/sweet cases (optional).