1/2 Photos of Algerian Mchewek - My Traditional Family Recipe!
Um Safia's Note:
Mchewek are small balls of mainly almond filling which are moist and slightly chewy on the inside while crisp on the outside. Simple to make but incredibly delicious...
My Private Note
small b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups ground almonds (ground in food processor) or 3 cups desiccated coconut (ground in food processor)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 small eggs (approx)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped sliced almonds (to roll onto) or 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- glace cherries, to decorate
- 1Put ground almonds or coconut, baking powder, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well (traditionally with your hand). Slowly incorporate the eggs until a firm paste has been achieved.
- 2Make small balls from the dough - slightly larger than a malteser or olive. Roll each ball in the chopped flaked almonds or coconut and coat well.
- 3Place the mchewek balls on a baking sheet which has been greased and lightly floured. Put 1/4 a glace cherry on the top in the centre of each mchewek.
- 4Cook in a preheated oven at 170c for approximately 12 minutes or until almonds have turned a pale golden colour.
- 5Allow to cool before placing in small bun/sweet cases (optional).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Mchewek - My Traditional Family Recipe!
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.1
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.6 mg
- Sodium 23.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: