1/2 Photos of Algerian Helouwa Ta'aba (Lemon or Sesame Cookies)
Um Safia's Note:
Helouwa Ta'aba are very traditional, lovely simple cookies from Algeria. They should be quite hard, but if you prefer them a little softer then take them out of the oven at 20 minutes. There are 2 versions of this recipe, one flavoured with lemon & the other is plain but topped with sesame seeds. Both versions are below. This particluar recipe is our family recipe & is DH's all time favourite helouwa as it is not too sweet (so he can eat more lol!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 250 g granulated sugar (I use 200g-220g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 liter sunflower oil or 1/4 liter vegetable oil or 1/4 liter canola oil
- 4 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 1In a large bowl, beat the eggs & the oil.
- 2Add the baking powder (& lemon zest if using), & slowly add the flour, mixing the ingredients with your hands until a dough forms. You will probably not need all of the flour.
- 3Once you have a firm dough, you can shape your helouwa.
- 4To shape, you have 2 choices: you can roll out to 5mm thickness & cut out with your favourite cookie cutters OR you can roll into a 1cm thick 'sausage' & make rings & straight lengths them decorate with a 'Nakkach' or fork if you don't have one. (See photos).
- 5If making the sesame version, once you have cut out all your cookies, brush a little beaten egg over the top of the cookies & sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- 6Place on a tray lined with aluminium foil (shiny side up) & bake for 25-28 minutes. The cookies should be pale but hard when tapped. (Unless you want them soft on the inside, in which case you should take them out after 20 minutes).
- 7Allow to cool then store in an airtight container for upto 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian Helouwa Ta'aba (Lemon or Sesame Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (1876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.1
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 17.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of