Recipe by Um Safia
Garantita is one of the most famous dishes in Algeria. It is made in every home & is a very popular 'fast food'. Traditionally, it is cooked until just firm around the edges, golden on top & nice and squishy in the middle (a BIT like souffle), then sliced (with difficulty!) & placed in a baguette with harissa. Chickpea flour is readily available in all Indian grocers (also known as Besan) or in Middle Eastern grocers. You can also make your own by grinding dry chick peas. This is our much requested family recipe......
Top Review by serenakaloun33
The perfect amount of ingredients. You really don't need any black pepper to enjoy garantita. Just sprinkle a little extra cumin on top after finished baking. This is also one of my favorite dishes. Thank you Um Safia for posting this. Please keep posting more Algerian recipes. :)
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil (you can use vegetable or canola also)
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons harissa
- 2 large French baguettes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place all your ingredients (except the egg & those required to serve!) in a large blender / liquidizer - you may need to do this in 2 batches --
- Liquidize the mixture until it is frothy & completely smooth.
- Pour this batter into a 7" x 11" rectangular pan - I like to use my pyrex dish.
- Whisk the egg, then pour over the top of the batter.
- Cook for around 45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden but the middle is still slightly squishy / sloppy (unless you like it firmer, in which case cook it 5 - 10 minutes more).
- Slice the garantita into 8 pieces (a large, wide spatula or cake knife is useful for this!)
- Cut each baguette into 1/4's, then split open & remove a little of the inner bread.
- Spread the bottom of each 1/4 of baguette with 1/2 tbsp of the harissa & lay the garantita on top. Sprinkle with a little cumin then cover with the top of the baguette - to make a sandwhich.
- Eat whilst hot & enjoy a taste sensation!
- If you have any Selecto to drink, it makes the perfect accompanyment!